Refereed journal articles
- St John, S ( 2014) Putting Children at the Centre: Making policy
as if children mattered, Educational Philosophy and Theory,
- St John ( 2014) What Has New Zealand's Retirement Policy
Framework to Offer the International Debate Policy
Quarterly Volume 10 Number 3, Institute for Governance and
Policy Studies, University of Victoria
- S Wilson, B Spies-Butcher, A Stebbing, S St John (2013) Wage-Earners' Welfare after Economic Reform:
Refurbishing, Retrenching or Hollowing Out Social Protection
in Australia and New Zealand, Social Policy &
Administration, Volume 47, Issue 6, pages 623-646, December
- St John, S (2013) Review of Reforming
Pensions for Civil and Military Servants, Noriyuki Takayma
(ed) Vol 12, Issue 4 of the Journal of Pension Economics and
- St John, S., (2013 ) Preventing, Mitigating or Solving Child Income
Poverty? The Expert Advisory Group 2012 Report, Institute
of Policy Studies Quarterly review Vol.9(2).
- St John, Dale & Ashton (2012) Preparing for the health and
long-term care costs of New Zealand's ageing population, New
Zealand Population Review, Vol 38, 2012.
- Lamm, F. McDonnell, N., & St John, S. (2012) The Rhetoric versus the Reality: New Zealand's
Experience Rating, New Zealand Journal of Employment
- Dale, M. & St John, S., (2012). New
Zealand's overseas pensions. Institute
of Policy Studies Quarterly Review, May 8(2):54-63.
- St John, S., & Dale, M. (2012). Evidence-based
Evaluation: Working for Families. Institute
of Policy Studies Quarterly Review, February
- St John, S. & Chen, Y.P.
(2010 ). Aging of the elderly: An intragenerational funding
approach to long-term care. European
Papers on the New Welfare, 15 (October ), 11.
- St John, S. & Dale, M. (2010). The New Zealand experience
of child-based work incentives. European
Journal of Social Security 12,(3).
- St John, S. (2010). ACC: The
lessons from history. Policy
Quarterly, Institute of Policy Studies Victoria
University of Wellington. 6(2), 23-29.
- St John, S. (2007). KiwiSaver and the tax treatment of
retirement saving in New Zealand. NZ
Economics Papers 41(2), pp. 143-160.
- St John, S. (2007). New Zealand's experiment in tax neutrality
for retirement saving, The
Geneva Papers 32, pp. 532-552.
- St John, S. (2007). Farewell to tax neutrality: the
implications for an aging population. Economic
and Labour Relations Review, 18(1) pp. 27-52.
- St John, S. (2006). 'New
Zealand's financial assistance for poor children: Are work
incentives the answer?' European
Journal of Social Security, 8, (3), pp. 299-316.
- McClelland, A. and St John, S. (2006). 'Social policy
responses to globalisation in Australia and New Zealand,
Journal of Political Science, 41, (2), pp. 177-191.
- St John, S. & Wynd, D.(2006).
Impact of Economic Policy on New Zealand Children',
Review in Children NZ Issues: Journal of the Children's Issues
Centre, 10, (1), pp. 13-17.
- St John, S. (2005). Retirement income policy in New Zealand. The Economic and Labour Relations
Review, 15(2), pp. 217-239.
- St John, S. (2005). 'Reassessing the links with health and the
welfare state'. The Future of Accident Compensation Victoria
University of Wellington Law Review, 35 (4), pp.
- St John, S. (2003). 'Summary': Looking back at Accident
Compensation: finding lessons for the future'. Victoria
University of Wellington Law Review, 34 (2), pp.
- St John, S. & Willmore, L. (2001). 'Two
legs are better than three: New Zealand as a model for old age
Development 29, 8, pp. 1291-1305.
- Shirley, I. & St John, S. (1998). 'Family Policy and the
Decline of the Welfare State in New Zealand'. British
Review Studies, No. 10, December, pp. 39-61.
- St John, S. (1997). 'The
Measure of Success for Beyond Dependency, Aims, Methods and
Evaluation'. Journal of the
Social Policy Agency, Issue 8, March, pp. 61-66.
- Boston, J., St John, S., and Stephens, B.(1997). The quest for
social responsibility. Social
Policy Journal of New Zealand (7), pp. 2-16.
- St John, S. (1993). 'Tax and Welfare Reforms in New Zealand'.
The Australian Economic Review
p 37-42 4th Quarter.
- St John, S. (1991). 'The
Core Family Unit. Women and the 1991 Budget'. Journal
of Women's Studies, Vol. 7 No. 2, November, pp. 1-13.
- St John, S. and Berry, P.R. (1985) 'Percentage of Anaesthetic
Fee Refunded to Patients by Schedule-using Private Medical
Insurers'. New Zealand
Medical Journal, 98, No. 783, pp. 593-595.
- St John, S. (1981). 'Safety
Incentives in the New Zealand Accident Compensation Scheme'.
New Zealand Economic Papers,
- St John, S. (1981). 'A Note on the Price of
Alcohol 1960-1980'. New
Zealand Economic Papers, 15.