Speeches and other contributions
- St John. S (2013) What can be done about child poverty?
Invited speaker Probus Remuera Golf club, 3rd December 2013.
- St John, S (2013) Guest speaker Napier Family Centre AGM
Children in policy, Eastern Institute of Technology, 31st
- St John, S (2013) Guest Speaker 'retirement policy', Grey
Power Mt Roskill, 22nd October 2013.
- St John, S (2012): Adapting universal provision Affording our
Futures Conference, University of Victoria, 10-11th December.
- St John, S (2011) Guest speaker 'Issues for women' Auckland
Girls Grammar School Old Girls Annual dinner, Romfords Auckland,
- St John, S. (2010). Welfare reform: Alternative views on the
options. Paper presented at the Institute of Policy Studies
Seminar on welfare reform 26th November Wellington.
- St John, S. (2010c). Family policy, care of children and
social inclusion: The New Zealand experience. Melbourne:
Brotherhood of St Laurence, 25th October.
- St John, S. (2010i). Some personal musings. Paper presented at
the Women to Watch: Kate Edgar series, University of Auckland
- St John, S. (2010j). Why not fix child poverty? Paper
presented at the Fabian Society, University of Auckland 30th
- St John, S., & Dale, M. (2010). Option 1. Reforming New
Zealand Superannuation for a mobile trans-Tasman population.
presented at RPRC forums on overseas pensions February and
- St John,S (2010) guest speaker CPAG 11th Annual Budget
breakfast Accounting for children?Tamaki campus, Auckland
University, 21st May 2010.
- St John, S., & Familton, A. (2010). Improving the
affordability and equity of New Zealand Superannuation,
PensionBriefing 2010-7. Auckland: Retirement Policy and
Research Centre, Uniersity of Auckland Business School.
- St John, S., & Familton, A. (2011). Paid parental leave in
New Zealand: lessons from Australia (CPAG backgounder 2010-1).
Auckland: Child Poverty Action Group.
- Dale, M. C., St John, S., & Littlewood, M. (2010). New
Zealand Superannuation and overseas pensions: reform options 1
and 2 (Briefing Paper ). Auckland: Retirement Policy and
- St John, S., & Familton, A. (2010). Will removing GST on
fresh fruit and vegetables achieve its stated aim? (CPAG
backgrounder No. 2010-1). Auckland: Child Poverty Action Group.
- St John, S. (2010b). AFFIDAVIT in the appeal CPAG v the
Attorney General Auckland, submited to the court June 2010.
- St John, S 'Intergenerational and international equity'
Retirement Conference; University of Victoria Institute of
Public Policy Wellington July 21-22nd Wellington 2010.
- St John, S. (2010). 'Does Working for Families work for
Children" Conference Welfare Reform June 21-22nd Wellington.
- St John, S. (2010). 'Interview with David Beatson' 7th April
shown 21st April 2010 Triangle TV.
- St John, S. (2010). Invited panellist LATE series on
economics, Auckland Museum, 1 April
St John, S. (2010). 'The 2010 Budget- Accounting for Children"
the 11th annual budget CPAG breakfast Christchurch 23rd May.
- St John, S. (2010). 'A Welfare state fit for the 21st century"
the Lincoln Efford memorial Lecture at WEA, Christchurch 11th
- St John, S. (2008). Guest speaker at the ACYA annual general
meeting on the 26th September
St John, S. (2008). Hikoi of Hope invited address, the Anglican
Cathedral Parnell, 21st September.
- St John S. (2009). "An economist's response" reply to
Professor Elaine Graham University Distinguished Visitor,
University of Manchester l Health, Wealth or Wisdom? Religion
and the Paradox of Prosperity-" August the 13th School of
theology Auckland University.
- St John S. (2008). "Issues for Unions", Wellington CTU forum
- St John S. (2008). Budget 2008 The forgotten families invited
article Dom Post 23rd May
St John, S. (2006). 'Family Incomes', Child Poverty in New
Zealand: NZEI Seminar, Teachers Centre Epsom, 8 December 2006.
- St John, S. (2006). 'The Working for Families package',
National Caucus seminar, Beehive Wellington, 9 October.
- St John, S. (2006). 'Women missing out: insured retirement
risks', Seminar: Reporting Research: Ageing in New Zealand,
Wellington, 13 November.
- St John, S. (2006). 'Saving in New Zealand', invited
panellist, Eriksens Superannuation & Investment Conference,
Wellington 7 June.
- St John, S. (2006). "What happens when discrimination against
children is perpetrated by the Crown?" Child and Youth Welfare
Advisers' Forum, Lexis Nexis Wellington, 9 -10 October.
- St John, S. (2005). 'Does working for families address child
poverty?' Guest speaker Methodist Mission Open Day,
Christchurch, New Zealand, 2 February.
- St John, S. (2005). 'The role of the community and child
poverty'. Session with the Christchurch City Council,
Christchurch, New Zealand, 2 February.
- ST JOHN, S., Panellist, Research on Ageing Forum, Ministry
Social Development, Wellington, 25 February, 2005.
- St John, S. (2005).'Women and poverty'. Invited speaker,
International Women's Day, "Global Peace and Justice Forum",
Trades Hall, Auckland, 7 March.
- St John, S. (2005). 'Why poor families struggle in the
education sector'. Quality Public Education Coalition, Auckland,
New Zealand, 19 March.
- St John, S. (2005). 'The impact of the budget on children'.
Post-Budget Breakfast, Surplus to requirements Child Poverty
Action Group, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand, 20
- St John, S., 'What's in it for me? Election 2005'. Invited
speaker, Student forum on politics, Students Centre, University
of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 21 August 2005.
- St John, S. (2005). 'Long-term care for the elderly', The Aged
Care NZ forum. Brightstar, Auckland, 25 - 26 October.
- St John, S. (2005). 'New Zealand Accounting reforms'.
Presentation to foreign delegation: Australian National
University Study Tour: China-Australia Governance Program,
University of Auckland, 16 November.
- St John, S. (2005). Key note address: 'Is Economics Useful',
Post Primary economics teachers teaching day, Auckland
University of Technology, Auckland. 18 November.
- St John, S. (2005). Presentation to foreign delegation: 'New
Zealand's Social Security System'. Chinese Delegation of Mayors,
Access Asia Ltd., University of Auckland, 12 December.
- St John, S. (2004). Grey power annual Conference "Is New
Zealand's Superannuation sustainable? Waipuna Lodge Auckland
- St John, S. (2004). 'Assessing the options for the drawdown
phase.' 5th Annual SuperFunds Summit, "Debating the policy
initiatives and investment strategies for the savings industry"
Wellington, 6-7 April.
- St John, S. (2003). Keynote speaker: 'How well is New Zealand
addressing child poverty?' NZ Association of child and family
support and community services conference, Christchurch, 4-5
- St John, S. (2003). 'Helping low and middle income people in
retirement', Saving and fund management conference, Wellington,
- St John, S. (2003). 'The removal of asset testing and its
implications', Residential Care Association Conference, Rotorua.
- ST JOHN, S., Referee for the MSD- 'What benefit dynamics data
tell us about the prevalence and persistence of low income...
children' and 'Children in poor families..': does the source of
family income change the picture? 2002.
- St John, S. (2002). 'Saving for the future. What women should
be concerned about in an election year and beyond.' Address to
Women and Superannuation AGM. Auckland 26 February; Wellington
- St John, S. (2002). 'Making children visible.' CPAG address,
Greens Party conference, 2 June
St John, S. (2001). Oral presentation on family incomes.
Ministry of Social Development, 23 November.
- St John, S. (2001). Ministry of Women's Affairs, Consultation
on section on incomes in 'Maori women', April.
- St John, S. (2001). Organiser, Chair, Panel speaker. 'A budget
for breakfast', Post Budget Breakfast, Child Poverty Action
Group and Public Health Association, The University of Auckland,
- St John, S. & Skilling, D., (1994) Tax assumptions
underlying the Todd Report Printed in the New Zealand
University Student's Response to the Todd Report Sept.
- St John, S. (1997).'Retirement income and women.' Keynote
speech, Proceedings of Conference Ministry of Women's Affairs
June 1996. pp. 26-41.